Thursday, February 09, 2006

My day in the Modern Art wing of the Met, etc.







While in New York for the APAP conference a few weeks ago, I had a lovely free day to myself. I decided to head to the Met as I wanted to check out the Rara Avis, the Iris Barrel Apfel special fashion exhibit. She is a fashion icon, to say the very least. Her husband was a giant in the textile industry and they travelled around the world. She was a pioneer of crossing couture fashion with thrifty finds- and with a sense of style that is inspirational. I spent the morning there, lunched in Central Park (it was an unseasonably warm and beautiful January day!) and then spent the afternoon in the modern art wing.

The Met is a monstrous complex; one could spend weeks exploring and still never see everything. My time was limited so I chugged through the Egyptian mummies quickly on the way to the modern art wing.

I really love New York. Its the sort of place where a person really has to go out there and make things happen for themselves. A city with endless possibilities.

No comments: