Sunday, February 19, 2006

And now, tips on naming your pets, with Jen:

1. Human names are always acceptable. People personify their pets. Why not give your pet a person's name? Try to avoid naming your pet after somebody your know, like your Great Aunt Mildred or your Uncle Nancy. Try names like Barry, Norman, and Steve.

2. Names of food are cute when your pet is a baby, but are you really going to be comfortable calling your kitty, Kitten Burrito, or your puppy, Tuna, forever?

3. Racial slurs are generally not very cute. Jewie the kitty, I'm looking at you. Jewie, one day you'll grow up and you'll have to be an accoutant because of your "heritage". Blame it on your human parents.

4. Mr. or Mrs. anything is fucking funny and I don't care what anybody says. A dog named Mr. Wiggles? A hamster named Mrs. Noodles? Hilarious.

5. When all else fails, name your pet after a random object in the room. Examples: Ball, Lamp, Panasonic 2-in-1 Combination DVD and VCR.

6. Movie and literary characters and musical references are always a good option. My fighting beta fish was named Mugatu. Frankenstein, Lloyd Dobler, and Sting (not Stung and not Stinging, but Sting) would all make excellent names for your animal friend.

7. If your animal has a distinguishing trait, you can always go that route. One eye, the pirate puppy or Sir Diddles-a-Lot would be nice names.

8. And for the love of Pete, don't name your animal, Fffffffffffffffffff! That's a terrible name. (Thanks Jeffrey!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm . . . Does Wrecks get your approval?

I had an entire tank of fish named after the cast of Cheers. It was adorable until Carla ate Sam.

jenniferocious! said...

Wrecks is such a perfect name, especially for your little guy. Your dog cracks me up.

Anonymous said...

I dont have a pet, but I have a plant that was given to me for my 23rd birthday, and he is like a pet to me in a way. I named him James.

jenniferocious! said...

Frank! James the plant. That's an excellent name AND follows rule #1 of how to name your pet/plant.