Monday, May 01, 2006

Don't ask me, I was a liberal arts major.

H'ok.

I have 3 variables, let's call them X, Y, Z, and each has a different value. If I take 15% of the value of each variable and add the sums of discounted X, Y, Z, will that give me the same amount as if I add X, Y, Z together and then discount 15% of the sum of the three variables.

#1
.15X + .15Y + .15Z = Total

#2
X + Y + Z = Total*.15

Will those give me the same amount?

This is not a rhetorical question.

You guys, I scraped by with a C in Honors Algebra in high school and a D- in Business Calculus in college (how I tested into a math class of that academic level, I'll never know). Help a girl out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you'll end up with the same amount.

When in doubt, plug in very small real numbers. Make X=1, Y=2, Z=3. That's what I did and both calculations came up to .9.

Cool, I just earned that t-shirt in my closet that says "Math Majors Multiply".

Anonymous said...

Yes, you're cool.

You can factor the 1.5 away from each term, leaving 1.5(X+Y+Z).

Since (X+Y+Z) = Total, you can substitute 1.5(X+Y+Z) for 1.5(Total), which proves what you are trying to say.

Now, what allows you to factor is a whole different proof... I forget that one.

jenniferocious! said...

Yes, but does anyone know the quadratic formula? (No, really, do you?)

You two are Math Allstars!

Anonymous said...

= ((-b (+/-) sqrt(b^2-4ac)) / 2a)

jenniferocious! said...

MM, I always know I can count on you for the math skillz.