Sunday, September 17, 2006

"I'm not a one trick liberal arts pony!"

I haven't been spending much time on the internet since I arrived in Colorado. My reasons being: 1. I haven't figured out the wireless internet at home and 2. I've made a concerted effort to enjoy the EFF out of this state despite that I am not a snowboarding, patchouli wearing, college student.

I always end up in places I never plan to be. Not much about my life in the last five years has been planned very well. Like the time I was supposed to be in Carbondale, but ended up in Rockford. Or Chicago, but landed in Massachusetts. Or New York, and here I am in Colorado.

Every morning, when I drive to work, my view on the horizon is sun shining on the Flatiron Mountains. Purple mountains majesty, y'all. Seriously. So that helps- I will miss my New England fall though, but the lack of trees =s the lack of pollen =s the lack of my allergies. Give and take.

The apartment complex near my work (which houses students as my office building is situated across the street from the college campus) is frequently throwing parties with some crazy live band playing covers of The Who and Smoke on the Water and one of these days I'll work up the courage to march over there and ask them where the bong is.

Its odd to be living and working in a college town- in Massachusetts I lived in and around college campuses, but they were uppity, lesbian bearing, liberal arts universities. CU is a state college full of crazy, drunk students on bicycles. Seriously, there are more bikes than people here. So going out to bars has been a funny experience- I didn't really go to "college" bars in college, I hung out at the only gay bar in town and the biker bar. So I am negotiating a new way of interacting with people. And I'm enjoying it- I can already tell which places I'll hang out at and which ones I"ll be avoiding.

Last Wednesday, feeling good from the mojitos, I walked down Pearl Street and took my shoes off and enjoyed how randomly I could have arrived at this place, this moment.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Recommend your favorite magazines, please. I need a few new subscriptions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have finally trimmed my crazy magazine addiction down to these essentials:

Real Simple (because it brings out my inner 1950s housewife)

CMJ

Mother Jones

Gourmet

Anonymous said...

BUST & VenusZine.

I used to love Index but it's not in print anymore.

Real Simple is awesome, too. And between you, me, and the Internet? I would totally have a subscription to USWeekly. (You know, if I was into that sort of thing).

Anonymous said...

Cigar Afficianado. Great articles. last month featured Williams Shatner....He is GOLD!