Friday, September 01, 2006

Freecycle.

I briefly mentioned Freecycle yesterday, but I wanted speak a little more on the idea. We are a culture that throws things away now. While standing in line at the pharmacy, a man in line began telling me how he had lost his job as a repairman because the equipment his company used "wasn't worth fixing" so new replacement equipment was brought, and suddenly he was out of a job. Its the nature of our society- funny how technology is so expensive, but we have no problems throwing it out when its broken or a new model goes on sale.

Enter Freecylce. Most communities have a Yahoo Group. The idea is that you can post messages with items you are offering or items you are looking for. Realistically, you're not going to find a new iPod on Freecycle. That's not how it works. But if you don't mind fixing up a used bike, finding a nice cover for the sofa, and such you can find some really excellent stuff on Freecycle- for free!

I've received over 150 emails about the items I was giving away in the last day. I'm glad that Julia's son's class will have a microwave at lunchtime. I'm happy that Rita will be able to use that paraffin thingy I've used twice to help with her arthritis. At the end the day, a woman who works for a battered women's shelter is going to come pick up all of my old clothes.

Not everyone has a valiant cause, but I can appreciate that people have created a community of sharing, of not wasting items that are really useful. By giving my stuff away, I'm eliminating waste.

I hope you'll check out the Freecycle in your community (or surrounding areas- sometimes you can find larger groups in neighboring towns).

Oh! I totally forgot! My kitty, Napkin, was a Freecycled girl. See? You can seriously find anything on Freecycle. Including adorable cats.

No comments: