Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A question of ethics, in the technology era.

I'm wandering around MySpace and trying to make sure that you can't find me by my name (for professional reasons right now) and I find that this girl has my name. Whatever, people have the same name every day. I click on her MySpace page, and she's using the background I created for my old Livejournal account. She most definitely did not ask permission, but I have the log of the date and time she visited this blog and my Livejournal. So, you guys, I'm stumped. I've never had this happen to me before. Its a bit flattering that I am so awesome that someone wants to steal my things, but, it makes me angry that it was stolen without asking permission first.

What does one do in this situation? It is the internet, after all, but seriously, stealing is so lame. Do I send her a message and ask her to remove it? Do I confront her at all and just let it be? She's not giving credit, where it is due.

I have talked about this before, but I never thought I would have to ever deal with something like this first-hand. Has this happened to you before? What would you do in this situation?

Edit: This is the message I sent to her MySpace account:
Hi Jenny,

Hi, so wow. We have the same name. That is pretty awesome, huh? I checked out your MySpace page and it looks strikingly similar to one of my internet journals.

I have not visited your MySpace page prior to today, however, considering that I created my journal's layout over a year ago, I find it odd that our pages should look so similar. I see that you visited my Livejournal back in late June, according to my StatCounter.

While I am glad you did not directly hotlink from my Livejournal page, I did find it a bit alarming (slightly flattering, but alarming nonetheless), I just wanted you to know that I know.

I also noticed on your MySpace page that you studied elementary education in college. I hope that if you are a teacher now, you are teaching your students to be more creative than to steal other people's ideas, slightly alter them, and take credit as their own work.

Well, have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I'd definitely contact her. Be sickeningly nice about it at first, how flattered you are, etc. Perhaps once she realizes you found her, she'll be ashamed of what she did (as she should).

jenniferocious! said...

Jane, things just got trickier...she didnt take my original file, she used mine and altered it. This complicates things even further...if she had taken my file and hotlinked it directly, that would be one thing, but she took my work and changed it. Now I really am confused what to do. What do you think?