Sunday, March 19, 2006

Music heard, music seen, music scene.

As promised, I have chosen a mix suggestion and made a mix for all to hear. And so I present to you:


Click on the link if you want to download this mix. (It is limited to the first 50 customers and valid for 7 days.) Basically my thought for this was: What would Pat Sajak keep in his garage? Vanna White, a bottle of Jack Daniels, a powder blue tux, and a bunch of unused letters from Wheel of Fortune. That's what. So, this mix is made up entirely of songs that have extra letters hanging out in their names.

The Track List:

1. S.R. - Reel Big Fish

2. Sloop John B - The Beach Boys

3. O Green World - The Gorillaz

4. IOU - Metric

5. F.O.O.D. - Reggie and the Full Effect (featuring Hungry Bear)

6. E-Bow the Letter - R.E.M.

7. You Owe Me an IOU - Hot Hot Heat

8. CMYK - Ladytron

9. Super OK - Zolof the Rock'n'Roll Destroyer

10. Since U Been Gone + Maps - Ted Leo (live)

11. Y Control - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

12. E-Pro - Beck

13. The KKK Took My Baby Away - The Ramones

14. The D in Detroit - The Anniversary

15. Plan B - Badly Drawn Boy

16. Oh! - Sleater-Kinney

17. P.S. You Rock My World - The Eels

18. Friends of P - The Rentals

19. Capital H - Motion City Soundtrack

20. B + A - The Beta Band

21. FTN - Goldfinger

22. The Key of C - Say Hi to Your Mom

Top Five Shows I've Seen on Holidays (since I'm not a Jehovah's Witness, birthdays count too):
1. Minus the Bear, Murder By Death & Braid, Memorial Day, The Metro, Chicago
You know, I don't know if this one really happened on Memorial Day, but I feel like it did because I was home for a long weekend and Frank & Co. and I headed into the city that night to catch some rock and the Neofuturists. Later, I saw this same show in Allston, MA in a non-air conditioned church and the whole scene made me remember what rock shows used to be like. Not fashion/show, but rock show- put on your black t-shirt and go to a show. My love for Bob Nanna never wavers, I've annexed him as my own hometown hero even though he really is from Champ-Urb. Braid was one of Mr. Robert Nanna's best musical endeavors, in this girl's opinion.

2. Ultimate Fakebook & Red Hot Valentines, Valentine's Day, Rhino's, Bloomington IN
This was a surprise from the boy I was dating at the time; a few days prior I had broken out in the worst case of the hives the Student Health Center had ever seen. I was bloated like a puffer fish. The doctor prescribed heavy dosages of steroids so my palms were real hairy and it was like that episode of California Dreams where the pretty blonde is on the juice so she can win the swim meet and she's real angry and punching lockers. That was me on Valentine's Day. By the time Valentine's Day rolled around I had deflated slightly, but was hardly a vision of beauty. Despite my pufferfish status the boy stole me out of my dorm room that sunny unseasonably warm Valentine's Day and took me to another time zone where we saw Ultimate Fakebook, who I still have enormous love for (UFB, I mean). At the time I didn't think it was creepy that someone I'd only been dating for 3 or so months should put me in his car and not tell me where we were going for 5 hours, I was really excited that someone wasn't scared of my bloated hivey steroid-rage man face. ANWAYS. One of my favorite rock t-shirts was acquired at this show- Youth Large, Black with Silver Print in the scribbly UFB writing and a drawing of their drum kit. I lost this shirt in an unfortunate laundry mishap in mid-2003 where most, if not all, of my dark & black t-shirts were lost. Sigh, I still miss that t-shirt. Eventually, I did get over the hives and I became one of Major League Baseball's best hitters until Jose Canseco wrote an exposé about steroid use in the MLB and then I was forced into retirement.

3. Hot Hot Heat & We Are Scientists, 24th Birthday, Lupo's, Providence RI
I got wasted on Jagermesiter and Red Bull, made friends with half the kids outside the venue, found out the true identity of that mysterious bizarro Bert McCracken running around Providence, and all before the show started. Hot Hot Heat put on a great show and I would see them again- Lupo's is a fantastic venue too, what with their cages for romping in and all. They may not be the cutest boys in rock and roll, but they are so Canadian it will make your face hurt. Also, I didn't get to see nearly enough of We Are Scientists at this show. More We Are Scientists, I say.

4. Reggie & the Full Effect, St. Patrick's Day, Webster, Hartford CT
This venue sucks because they quarantine the 21+ crowd to the side of the bar that can't see the stage very well, BUT I love my James Dewees for his insane genius. Law & Order: SVU: Of course its the best one because we all love to watch shows about kids getting raped. Covers of Journey, mime shows + R.Kelly, and when your fake band opens for your other fake band- if that's not genius, its at least good business.

5. The Flaming Lips & The White Stripes, New Year's Eve, Aragon, Chicago
We passed a bottle of Jack Daniels around our circle while waiting outside in the Freezing Windy Chicago cold and the show was amazing. At midnight, The Flaming Lips & The White Stripes played a few songs together, including "I Can Tell That We Are Gonna Be Friends" and there was chocolate sauce involved- lots of chocolate sauce. No one should ever live their lives without having seen The Flaming Lips live at least once. Sorry dudes, no pictures of Jack & Meg for this one.

Honorable Mentions:
The Dresden Dolls, Halloween, Pearl Street, Northampton MA
Motion City Soundtrack, I've seen them so many times surely one of those shows must have fallen on a holiday, somewhere in Middle America Ok Go!, Halloween-ish, The Century Lounge, Providence RI
Reel Big Fish, 19th & 23rd Birthdays, Chicago & Northampton MA respectively
Donovan, 4th of July, Mahaiwe, Great Barrington MA

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

#2 - Hee hee, I remember the Red Hot Valentines from when they were still playing basements and the Illini Union in Urbana. One of the ONLY things that I did during the years I drank that I'm proud of is when, at 3am at a party I wandered into and didn't know anyone at, drunk on someone else's Honeybrown keg I didn't pay for, I was introduced to their lead singer and promptly told him _exactly_ how much his band sucks. Or at least used to suck, maybe things have changed since then. :)

jenniferocious! said...

Todd! I had a very similar experience as you during Mark's 21st Birthday bar crawl- the RHV walked into Murphy's and I was not very sober so I went with them to a party on California and their lead singer tried to make out with me and which point I promptly told him that his band was lame and that his wife wouldn't appreciate him kissing other gals, but I'm sure the 13 year goth girls his bandmates were making out with might have a friend.

The only good part about them being at that Valetine's Day show was the novelty of their band name sharing the name of the holiday.

jenniferocious! said...

I might have included the Dresden Dolls in my Top Five if not for that crazy smelly goth girl that made that show difficult to enjoy.

Jeffrey, your CD is in the "mail".

adam said...

Do you think that Pat Sajak has ever thought, "Pat, you will turn the world of alphabets on its head when you introduce the new letter "§" on Wheel of Fortune! It can replace all the S sounding c's. There will never be confusion in writing words like necessary again!" ? Does he think he's god of the american alphabet?

I didn't, until now.

jenniferocious! said...

Adam, I briefly considered using only songs with non-standard symbols and letters for this mix, but I am not a masochist. Also, Pat Sajak probably sits around smoking cigars with Alex Trebek and Bob Barker discussing modern politics and how to control the pet population. And by pet population I mean, "Vanna White" and those blonde ladies on The Price is Right.