Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Blurring the lines between irony and serious performance art.

Friends, lovaaaaaaaaahs, ladies, gentlesirs, strangers, readers:
I'm taking new suggestions for The Outré Lounge MixCD Challenge. I'm taking suggestions until ONE WEEK FROM TODAY, Wednesday, April 5th. Same rules as last time: any word, phrase, story, dream about Bono you had last night, or PICTURE that you want. I'll pick one and make a mix- if I pick yours, I make you the mixCD and I send it to you with other goodies included. Everyone else has to download it from my intranets.

Hi, My Name is Panther...
Earlier this week, I was at the Iron Horse, at The Gossip show (as a sidenote, you would be doing yourself an amazing favor by buying their CD/downloading them from your filesharing program of choice- their singer has a set of pipes, I'm telling you. Soulful punk is the best way I can describe them), drinking my diet soda, when like a message from the Pope himself, a voice over the PA system says, "Hi, I'm Panther." Some wacky pre-recorded drummy beats start playing. I look around confused because there's no one on stage, when out of the mist I see a man crazily robot dancing in the middle of the room holding a microphone. To give you an idea:

Sings like Prince

+

Dances like Beck

+

Songs about Princess Di =

Panther!

(Photoshopping courtesy of Panther)

Ultimately, I think its fair to say that Panther is a comedy genius with a mastery of creating performance art of merit. If you disagree, we can have a breakdance fight to see who is correct. And you best watch out cause my breakdance fighting skillz are wicked.

Off like a prom dress takes on new meaning.
Hey, aren't you guys super excited about the Prom this year? I know I am. Here are some new and exciting prom fashions you can try this year:

I'm sorry, is this even a dress? I have bathing suits that cover more than this does. Strippers wear more than this.

This dress is one way of guaranteeing you'll get laid on prom night. Its also one way of cementing your place as "that slutty girl who showed up to prom in that ugly skanky dress".

But hey, if that's what you're going for...

This black dress seems to channel that Paula Abdul video where she's dressed in black mesh and humping all the dudes. Only now its been realized in prom dress form! Aren't we so lucky!

There are so many things wrong about this dress: mesh, the endless ruffly tulle skirt...actually, that's about it, but the amount of ugly those things provide is really enough, don't you think?

This dress is punishment for getting knocked up before the prom.

Its also a nice reminder to the other boys and girls at the prom to use protection, or look what will happen to you!

Also, here's a few helpful etiquette tips circa 1950 to remember on your prom night:

Prom Do wear body glitter so you sparkle during your grand march.

Prom Don't fish for compliments.



4 comments:

adam said...

Do you know how old that girl is? I mean.. I'm just.. curious.. uhm...

hi... I'm panther... FUCK! FUCK! PRINCESS DI! Hoo!hoo!chchchchchchchchchchch.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh....Grand March. I remember when I was a little girl in East Bumfuck, North Dakota, and the entire town would go to the high school to watch Grand March.

The dress choices in East Bumfuck were pretty limited. Usually every girl in the senior class was wearing one of three choices.

Anonymous said...

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/03/help_your_tree.php

This made me think of you. Get knitting!

jenniferocious! said...

Adam: NO. At least she puts out though.

Jane: I didn't even know what a grand march was, but I find it entertaining that one should bathe in body glitter before doing so. There are very few occassions that warrant body glitter- The Gay Pride Parade, starring as the lead fairy in Midsummer's Night Dream, dancing in a Britney Spears video circa 1999, but really, that's it I think.

Jane, pt. 2: That is freaking adorable. Tree sweater. I'm working on a kitty/puppy bed right now, but tree sweater!