Friday, January 25, 2008

New York Mass Transit

I'm going to pause here and say: this is about New York, its complex and fascinating (dirty) subway system. If these things do not concern you, my apologies.

A few months ago, the opening story on This American Life was a man talking about committing a cardinal sin: he moved from New York to Chicago or vice versa. Probably from New York to Chicago because New Yorkers can't fathom living anywhere else in the world, least of all Chicago where they have sub-standard pizza and you have to take the bus. You may as well just move to Connecticut! Anyhow- everything the guy said was true, New Yorkers want to tell you how much they like New York and how much you should love New York, and most of all New Yorkers talk about the subway. Here's a SAT prep test question:

Everyone else:weather :: New Yorkers:subway

Oops. Gave the answer away. In any case, people here DO talk about the subway a lot. I am talking about it right now!

All of the subway lines pass through Manhattan except for the G train. Lo, the G train which runs between Brooklyn and Queens.

I know people who deny the existence of the G train. It is a mysterious train. It never runs properly on the weekends. You might wait up to an hour at 3 in the morning on a Saturday (you have a better chance of finding a unicorn to fly you home). The G train is an enigma.

But, despite all the elusiveness of the G train, I still have a soft spot for it. Maybe because it can take me to Greenpoint. A place I find painfully ugly, yet adorable with all of its little old Polish people hobbling around. I can't believe I missed the news that the G train is expanding and to my great benefit:

Yay! Most of you probably have no idea what this means, so let me share with you: IT MEANS THAT I CAN WALK TO A G TRAIN STOP! FROM MY HOUSE!

Truthfully though, I don't know how often I will take the G train. I spend most of my time walking in my own neighborhood or taking a train that actually goes to Manhattan. I AM VERY EXCITED ANYWAYS! And you should be excited with me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugly? Guess you haven't been to the Greenpoint Historic District, Franklin Street, McGolrick Park, or any of the many gorgeous churches that were built in this neighborhood.

jenniferocious! said...

Anonymous, have you seen any of the industrial areas of Greenpoint? Not exactly the most scenic display.

I won't disagree with you- the parks are beautiful and there are some lovely areas of Greenpoint- which I have visited, by the way. But it is pretty fug in areas too. Namely that whole chunk of Greenpoint that is purely industrial.

Anonymous said...

I took the G a few times. I had been visiting friends in Brooklyn and stayed late. It was cold and the other trains were a long walk. I sat at the station for almost an hour. I got a lot of reading done and learned to block out pee smells.