Friday, December 07, 2007

I-D-K! my B-F-F, Jill.

You guys! I've been half-heartedly attempting to post for the past month about my experience seeing the Broadway (jazz hands!) musical, Spring Awakening. But I've been struggling to accurately explain how ridiculous, uncomfortable, and BAD this musical was. I was also informed that no one ever says truly scathing remarks about Broadway because there is an underlying knowledge that because it is a for-profit, mainstream "art" it will inherently suck. Which is probably true. But if we're being fair, I've seen enough low budget definitely not-profiting art that blows too.

A couple weeks ago, I became OBSESSED with finding others on the internet who loathed Spring Awakening as much as I did. And there's about 2 people in the universe that are willing to say it on the internet (and I'm one of them). There are about 9375203958 Rent fanatics that are willing to bash Spring Awakening as part of their effort to hold Rent up on high. The two are apples and oranges, really, so it seems unfair, but for the sake of feeling part of a larger movement, I'll take those snobby Rent-heads as being on my side on this one. I like Rent, but I don't like Rent because its better than Spring Awakening.

I hope this comes up in Google searches: Spring Awakening sucks.

Enough about that.

I've been overloaded by music lately. Here's what I've been listening to:
Justice - Cross (electrono dance fun)
Candie Payne - I Wish I Could Have Loved You More (noveau Dusty-esque 60s pop)
DJ Vinroc - No idear of the name of this album. Its weird as all get out.
Japanther - Stuffed Up My Huffy (Brooklyn noise-rock-pop goodness.)

Since October I've been saying I can't wait for it to be January and for everything to calm down, but I may have spoken too early when I thought that January would be calm. Because it will be a busy month indeed! I hope by admitting this, the gods of busy schedules will take some pity on me.

Also: hooray on being 97% finished with holiday shopping! hooray for the Bust Craftacular tomorrow! hooray for NYC! (this city only gets better and better.) I bought myself this for Christmas and am upgrading the memory to 4gb (for work purposes, so not really a present at all!)

And hey, is your life complete without having seen this? I think not!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the show sound good? (Even it it sucked)

jenniferocious! said...

The sound was good. The band sat on stage and played their "rock" music. Sounded good to me.